Client SinceApril 2021
The Medical Cultures Lab at UCSF is a scholarly community that works to understand medical culture and advance health equity. Their website is intended to be a resource; for researchers who are new to using qualitative methods or mixed methods in their research to start, find a curated list of resources in a searchable database; and for others to find articles such as white papers done as blog posts and content in specific areas that lab members currently work in.
Hop Studios worked with the Medical Cultures Lab to move them from a templated Wix website to a custom design implemented in ExpressionEngine, a move that permitted advanced search functionality to let visitors explore the data on the site more effectively.
We began with a detailed kickoff and discovering meeting to allow both teams to get familiar with each other and to formalize the goals and process of the project. Our goal was to move the website from Wix to ExpressionEngine quickly, while building out tools to permit visitors to better access research data. The following work was then completed:
- Set up of new hosting and DNS migration
- Installing and configuring ExpressionEngine
- Creating mockups for 10 different page types
- Implementing an advanced search form, including: text searching with relevancy rankings; category searches with AND and NOT; download search results in CSV format
- Creating a password-protected area of the site
- Building an custom request form with email notifications
- Production of HTML templates and integration into ExpressionEngine
- Set up of Google Analytics and Google Webmaster
And of course no project would be complete with training! We gave the team a thorough walkthrough on how to use their new content management system and tools.