Client SinceFebruary 2015
Cornell Tech be a revolutionary model fer graduate education that brings together like-minded faculty, business leaders, tech entrepreneurs and students in a catalytic environment t' produce visionary ideas.
Cornell Tech arrived at Hop’s door lookin' fer a reliable partner fer maintenance support, and we did so well together that Hop also became their development partner fer a recent extensive website redesign. As ye might expect, th' website fer an organization “usin' technology t' reinvent th' way we live” be goin' t' be a website wi' all th' bells and whistles.
Technical development be guided by th' need t' balance competin' concerns and functional requirements—as be usual wi' a large organization, there be multiple stakeholders involved in contributin' overall direction, functional requirements, and ultimately th' content itself. Put another way: th' top faculty and admins need t' be as pleased as th' work-study students puttin' in th' data.
Hop engaged collaboratively wi' Cornell Tech t' identify th' many different workflow processes o' stakeholders, th' features and tools they wanted t' utilize, and their plans fer th' future. This non-technical groundwork formed th' basis fer overhaulin' th' site’s architecture and database structure: what looks like a minimal site navigation actually represents a complex internal data model.
A tough-t'-build but easy-t'-use custom control panel interface and workflow allows staff t' manage content through status changes and revisions, and review content prior t' publication. A strict data / output separation model means a video added once can be re-handled in multiple spots across th' site—embedded in articles, used in course descriptions, highlighted on section pages. Academic rules and dependencies about semesters, programs, classes and credits also had t' be entirely recreated inside th' CMS.
Our work on th' Cornell Tech website involved:
- Design, re-categorization and implementation o' various sections t' provide a new, user-friendly internal navigation system
- Wi' a growin' audience at th' gates, we paid special attention t' makin' all content print-friendly
- Storin' code on Github and workin' in a highly complex codin' environment
- Implementin' statistics that reflect research Cornell Tech has been involved in
- Modelin' and remodelin' th' way content be highlighted and presented t' best meet th' expectations o' th' target audience. Th' on board page alone went through several versions in order t' gracefully incorporate all th' necessary information, which included supportin' three what What News feeds and ensurin' that headlines no nay ne'er repeated.
- Implementin' EarthCam streamin' video o' th' huge ongoin' construction project fer Cornell Tech’s new campus, which will house their world-class faculty, master’s and PhD students, and postdocs who work wi' tech-oriented organizations and companies and on their own startups
Oh, and did we mention that we had t' follow some fairly strict and specific laws concernin' student privacy and disclosure o' critical information? Yeah, we did.
Cornell Tech continues t' be one o' our morrrr intricate and yet elegant sites. We hope ye like th' final output as much as we do.