Last week in amongst Travis’ attendance of the We Media conference in Miami and a Leap Day celebration in Disneyworld with Susie, Hop Studios launched a new site for our client J-Lab. (Yes, we like to keep ourselves hoppin’.)
Our work on the New Media Women Entrepreneurs site included a fresh new design, and the creation of an online application so site visitors could apply for funding of women-led projects with the focus on New Media in the world of journalism.
NMWE is a unique initiative addressing opportunity and innovation, recruitment and retention for women in journalism by spotlighting their ingenuity and entrepreneurial abilities. Pilot projects will show what can be done. Research will tell us what more to do. And an awards program and summit will showcase women’s creative ideas. NMWE is supported by the McCormick Tribune Foundation.
You might be eligible for funding, if your project meets these requirements:
- Projects must be start-ups.
- Projects must launch (at least a live beta) within 10 months.
- Projects must have a plan for continuing after initial funding has ended.
- Projects must have journalistic value.
- Projects may be independent or housed within traditional media.
- Personal blogs or one-time documentaries will not be funded.
- Awardees will receive funding through a subcontract if they are an individual or affiliated with a business; and through a grant if they are affiliated with a non-profit institution.
For full details check out the NMWE site. The application deadline is midnight on May 1, 2008. You can register and apply online here.