The position is now filled.
Hop Studios has an immediate opening for a full-time web designer. You’ll be working on interesting and meaningful projects for a wide range of clients, though we focus on media, non-profits, educational institutions, author and book sites, and small businesses. We are Canada’s leading ExpressionEngine design and development firm.
The most interesting applicant will have many of the following skills at the “Very Fine”, “Near Mint” or “Mint” level:
- Strong design experience, at least half of which is in web and interactive design. (Adobe Photoshop is open on your computer right now, right?)
- Photoshop’s not running because you’re currently using Sketch, Illustrator, Omnigraffle…
- Success eliciting design guidance from clients who have little to no design background
- Wireframing, information architecture and content organization skills
- User interface experience on multiple platforms (desktop, mobile, email)
- Experience with Bootstrap, Foundation, or other web design frameworks
- Experience with CSS, SASS, SCSS, etc.
- Experience with branding, identity and logo development
- Skills in adapting print design assets and collateral for web use
- Prototyping, collaboration and project management tools such as Basecamp or Invision
- Experience designing email newsletters
- Familiarity with the ExpressionEngine and/or other database-driven backend content management systems
Don’t have absolutely everything on that list? That’s OK. We provide on-the-job training to fill out the list if you’ve got a strong majority.
What are the other requirements?
- A rich design portfolio that showcases some of your best work
- Self-starter with a creative streak
- Ability to both take design direction accurately, and to come up with novel solutions that improve on what was asked for
- Collection of T-shirts with artsy line drawings or pop-culture references
- Good at hitting deadlines with aplomb
- Excellent written communication skills
- A long-term interest in keeping on top of technology trends and tools
Who can apply?
- you must want a permanent position (i.e. not part-time or contract)
- you must be able to start immediately (i.e. you can give 2 weeks notice now)
- you should live, or be willing to live, in Vancouver, BC, Canada
- you should be able to work in Canada
Who are we?
- We’re a 12-year-old company with a stable staff, established history and plenty of growth potential.
- We’re fun to work with (if we’re allowed to say that about ourselves [we are -ed.]), and our deep client roster are all excellent to work with as well; there are no waterfall death marches here.
- We are located in the Gastown district of Vancouver, and we offer an open, collaborative work environment.
- We pay a competitive wage tied to experience.
- We are an equal opportunity employer that values diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Or anything else.
- We work hard, but also have lives outside of work.
And don’t send your resume as a Word document. We mean it.